Great Lakes Dredging Company completed beach fill operations on June 13, 2010. Beaches from 73rd Street - 94th Street received 800,000 cubic yards of sand and now are open to the public. The total project cost 6.6 million dollars, with the State of New Jersey committing to pay 75% and the City of Sea Isle City responsible for paying the remaining 25% of the total cost. Expect to see equipment clean up and de-mobilization over the next few days.
UPDATE BEACH FILL JUNE 7, 2010 Beach fill operations continue from 87th Street to 77th Street. The Beach fill process is a 24/7 operation.
The sand is conveyed via a pipeline which extends from the dredge in Townsends Inlet to the area of the fill; currently approaching 77th Street. The pipe will eventually extend all the way to 73rd Street; the finish point of the Beach Fill Project. All beaches will remain open during the project with the exception of about four to six blocks in the area of the fill. As the fill moves to the North, the beach behind the fill will be reopened and the beaches in front of the fill will be closed.
Questions regarding the project can be directed to Sea Isle City Assistant Superintendent, Lew Steelman, 609-263-6000 X 14 or email at email@example.com.